1. Stop licking your lips: Many people suffer from a repetitive habit of licking their lips. This repetitive friction and irritation causes a darkening of the lips and even the surrounding skin. Why does this occur? Usually, people with this habit have lips that continually dry and they repeatedly lick their lips to moisturize it. Unfortunately, the more you lick your lips, the more water evaporates from the lips, ultimately making them even drier. This ultimately perpetuates a never-ending cycle! So stop this habit for a lighter and healthier pout!
2. Exfoliate your lips: A lot of people with dry lips will have excess skin that makes your pout look rough, uneven and discolored. Luckily, there is a natural remedy for this. You can gently rub your lips with your toothbrush every morning! Or, for an extra effective exfoliation, you can mix sugar, honey and olive oil and apply it to the lips as a gentle scrub and then wash it off. Do this a few times a week and be amazed at the results.
3. Moisturize regularly: Dry lips are darker lips, likely because light is not able to reflect properly off an uneven surface. Moist lips will look healthier and pinker, so moisturize regularly with a strong lip balm at least 5-6 times a day! Make sure the lip balm has shea butter in it, as it is highly effective at moisturizing your pout.
4. Apply sunblock: Yes, lips can get tanned too! In fact, the sun can damage the skin on the lips, making them appear darker and rougher. Look for a lip balm with SPF30, and apply it at least 5-6 times a day to make sure it does not wear off.
5. Try lasers: If natural remedies do not work, then you can try a KTP Laser for your dark lips. This safe and painless procedure uses a targeted light therapy to attack excess color on the lips. Typically, KTP requires 2-4 sittings, depending on how dark your lips are. Talk to a certified dermatologist about it to learn more.